Thursday 26 March 2015

Productivity ...

I love PhD Comics, they are just so funny. And a great way to procrastinate. Or when you just need to feel like you are not alone in the universe. Recommend you check them out.



This week (and many weeks before that!) has been a little like that comic. I've been going to my office and sitting by my computer all day, working away, but still have the feeling that I haven't actually done enough. Very strange. So, I've decided to try to log my work. I got that idea from my friend and office neighbour Sherrie, you can read her blog here! I am hoping that by logging my reading and writing, I can see just what it is I am doing. I will also have to log when I take brakes, when I'm working on my tutoring, when I'm going through emails and social media, etc. I am doing this because I think I am being to hard on myself. Sometimes I may spend the whole day 'writing' but only produce a couple of paragraphs. But that can often be a lot, because there is a lot of reading, thinking and gaining understanding of what I am writing that goes on behind the scenes, so to speak. I need to remember my Reggio Emilia philosophy here, it is the process not the outcome that is important. Well, obviously the outcome is important but I hope you get my drift. My proposal can only be between 20 and 30 pages, but it will have taken me 7-8 months to produce that document, so you can imagine the thinking, reading, writing, re-writing, re-reading, re-thinking, editing, changing, reconstructing, re-re-thinking and re-re-writing, and then some re-re-re-writing that needs to go on for me to be able to produce a quality proposal that will be accepted. It often feels like I'm going in circles, like a cat chasing its tail. But then I have days filled with 'Eureka' and feel extremely clever and on the top of my game, only to be knocked down to Earth by reality the next day. Like I've said before, this adventure is a roller coaster ride!

Yesterday I went on a Waikato river cruise with a group of academics. We had a BBQ and wine tasting and I had a great time. It was great to talk to people from Iceland, Sweden, Scotland and New Zealand and just have fun. But, staying up late and drinking all that wine caused me to oversleep this morning! I'm such a 'hen-head' as we say in Iceland. Not good for my productivity log! And I have just over a week for my ethics approval application deadline so I have no time to waste. Looks like this will be a long working weekend! But last night was worth it ...

No comments:

Post a Comment