Tuesday 24 March 2015

Running update

This last week I've been on point with my training and running goals. Last Tuesday, I went to the gym and got my tempo run in plus leg training. The tempo run went very well. I only did 3km, am working very slowly to build my mileage, but I was in the lactate threshold zone of my heart rate for most of the run, minus a short warm up and cool down. I was very happy with my effort and felt good afterwards. Regarding leg workouts, I don't go overboard when I have leg day. At least I didn't think I was going overboard. I did 10 normal squats, 10 lounges (each leg) and 10 one-legged squats (each leg). Now, that does not sound like a lot. But OMG, I was so sore for days after this. I am just so weak, it is seriously not funny. I guess all I can say is that I will hopefully get stronger and be able to do more. According to Runners Connect, runners shouldn't really use the leg-machines at a gym, it is more effective to just do free-standing leg workouts. So that's what I'm doing. I didn't use any weights, just my own. I was like a duck, couldn't walk properly for a couple of days. Crazy!

On Thursday, I went for my recovery run, where you should be in the recovery training zone. That means running VERY slowly, at least in my case. In fact, I had to alternate between running and walking, cause I just couldn't run slow enough! My heart-rate kept going too high. And, remember, I was sore as hell, so I didn't manage to run/walk very far. I actually cut the run short, and only went 1,6km, my thighs were just screaming. Hahaha, this is so embarrassing! Sunday was long run day, and it was lovely. My soreness had gone away and I had such a great run. I was actually pleasantly surprised that my average pace was 7.40m/km, still within the long run heart rate, so that was a happy discovery. I was sure I would have to run in the 8m/km range. I want to be able to 6m/km for the half marathon, to reach my 2.20 goal, so it is doable I suppose. Whether I will make it this August, we will have to see.

Even though this has been a good week on the training front, my eating front has been troublesome. I don't know what is happening. I just keep having these crazy cravings. Maybe I'm bored. Tired of eating like I'm eating. Because I don't think these cravings are physical. I think it is all in my head. And I can get bored quite easily, I need things to be exiting and fun. So now I am looking into what I can do differently to keep myself motivated. Maybe I am also getting tired of the lack of weight loss in the last month or so. I've basically been the same weight now for way too long, and it is frustrating. I'm going to 'hydrate my brain' as we say in Iceland, and try to find a way to get out of this rut. I need to get some clothes for autumn and winter. I was thinking that I should get them a size smaller than I use now, so that will motivate me cause I am quite poor and can't be buying clothes again if I don't fit into what I have. But I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not. What do you guys think? Anyway, we'll see. Right now, all I have time for is to do my methodology and ethical approval application. An important deadline is fast approaching!

Cheers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment